Human Resources

Do I Need to Register with WorkSafe BC?

Paul Sharpe, CPA, CA
October 31, 2018

Affiliate disclosure

You’ve likely heard of WCB coverage, or WorkSafe BC as it’s now called in British Columbia. This short article will explain three things about WorkSafe BC: When you need to register for WorkSafe BC coverage, How to register for WorkSafe BC, and What your reporting requirements are once registered.

Awesome! Your checklist is on its way to your inbox.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

You’ve likely heard of WCB coverage or WorkSafe BC as it’s now called in British Columbia.

This short article will explain three things about WorkSafe BC:

  1. When you need to register for WorkSafe BC coverage,
  2. How to register for WorkSafe BC, and
  3. What your reporting requirements are once registered.

Because this stuff is about as thrilling as Vogon poetry, I’m going to keep it short and informative. After Wayne and Garth, there will be no smiling, only learning.

What is WorkSafe BC all about?

WorkSafe BC coverage protects both employers and employees.

  • For employers, it protects against lawsuits from workers who are injured on the job.
  • For employees, it offers assistance to cover work-related injury, illnesses,f and diseases.

Do You Need to Register?

Here is a short rundown of the most common situations and whether WorkSafe BC registration is required.

General Rule - Yes

If your business hires workers (full-time, part-time, casual, or contract), yes registration is required.

Owner of Incorporated Business - Yes

If you own an incorporated company that is actively engaged in business, yes registration is required.

Self-employed or Partnership - Optional

If your business operates as a sole proprietorship or partnership, WorkSafe BC coverage is optional (unless you’re caught by the general rule above).

You can choose to opt-in to be covered for lost salary and medical expenses should you be injured on the job as a result of your work.

Note About Hiring Contractors

If your business hires contractors, it is important to know that some contractors may be your workers. This means you would be responsible for their coverage as their employer and are required to pay premiums for their WorkSafe BC coverage.

Find out when covering contractors’ WorkSafe BC premiums is required.

There are some exemptions where businesses are not required to register. These exemptions are very specific, and more details can be found on the WorkSafe BC website.

Registration Process

If you are required to register for WorkSafe BC coverage, you can apply online with the helpful guide on the WorkSafe BC website.

You will need about 20 minutes and specific information about your business. This includes incorporation information and your business number if applicable. Check out the full list of information required to apply for BC coverage.

Reporting and Paying Premiums

Once your business is registered, you will be required to submit an Employer Payroll and Contract Labour Report to WorkSafe BC. This will be used to calculate WorkSafe BC premiums that are required to be paid.

Reporting Frequency

Annual reporting is the default for WorkSafe BC when your premiums are less than $2,000 per year. You’ll receive your employer payroll report in the mail to be filled out and submitted on a due date that ranges from March 3rd to 11th.

Quarterly reporting requirements exist when premiums are expected to be more than $2,000 per year or if you are in a specific classification with mandatory quarterly reporting. This will be noted on your report.

Check out WorkSafe BC's full list of dates and deadlines for more information.

How Your Premiums Are Calculated

WorkSafe BC premiums are calculated by multiplying your assessable payroll by a premium rate for your industry which is set by Worksafe BC. Your premium rate is affected by the track record of your business. It fluctuates depending on your business’ history of claims - a good track record can decrease your premium rate.

There are a few quirks to calculating your premiums that can make the process a pain to navigate. A few key topics to keep in mind when calculating your premiums include:

  • You may need to include shareholder earnings that were paid in the form of dividends
  • There is a maximum amount of payroll for a given employee that needs to be reported per year. This is called “excess payroll” and the total excess payroll is deducted from the total wages to report.
  • You may be required to report payments to subcontractors if they are not registered for WorkSafe BC themselves.

This WorkSafe BC guide is a helpful resource if you can stay awake to read it thoroughly, or you can give us a shout and we can help too.

How to Report Your Payroll and Pay Premiums

Once you’ve determined how to calculate your premiums, you can submit your report online at, or by mail or fax. The mailing address and fax number are located on your Employer Payroll and Contract Labour Report provided to you by WorkSafe BC.

You can pay premiums of $10,000 online by credit card through your WorkSafe BC portal or via the Fast File and Pay option. There are also options to pay by mail or at your financial institution - go here for more info on ways to pay premiums.


Congratulations for making it to the end of this article. If you made it through this, then I have complete confidence that you have the patience to calculate and report your own premiums.

What is your goal today?

Hire Avalon

1. Hire Avalon

We offer a range of comprehensive bookkeeping and accounting services to support your small business in Canada. From tax compliance to expert financial guidance, we're here to provide clarity and help you make informed decisions.

View Our Services
Learn New Skills

2. Learn New Skills

Looking to gain the skills needed for bookkeeping and accounting? Enroll in our online courses to benefit from our years of experience working with small business owners.

View Our Courses
Share Our Knowledge

3. Share Our knowledge

Overcoming the challenges of running a small business is our priority. Gain valuable insights and answers to your burning questions by exploring our:

Article by
Paul Sharpe, CPA, CA
Originally published
October 31, 2018
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing!

Let's Get Started

Use the form below and we'll respond within two business days

Is your business incorporated?